Saturday 27 December 2008

After I read To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf I get confused. Everything is not clear for me, who is said this, who is said that. My interest in the novel is about the Lily’s painting. At first I think that Lily’s painting is painted in real color, or that the colors in the painting are same with the real vision of Lily. After I and my group presenting about the Lily’s painting in the class, my imagination about the painting is changed. Not only by my friends, but also after I read the essays my vision is changed.

In the class my friends have a different about the painting. They think that the painting colors are darker than the reality. This is based by: “Lily, who work in blue and green” (symbolic pattern in To the Lighthouse, David Daiches, p. 71.). The essay also said that the color of the Lily’s painting is changed from the beginning of the novel, which is “bright violet and starring white” to the darker color in the middle of novel. The one of color of Lily painting, blue, has a symbolic meaning. The meaning, based on essay by David Daiches, is blue representing her characterization. Her character is an impersonal woman and artist.

The second essay given by the lecturer, Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay by Josephine O.S. is not helping me much to more understanding the Lily’s painting. Because, mainly the essay is talking about the characterization in the To the Lighthouse . The characters that talked in the essay are Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay and other character in the novel. This characterization helps me understanding more of Lily. The other topic talked by the essay is about the connection between three part of the novel, also help me to understanding the means of the novel.

Bibliography:
- To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf.
- Symbolic Pattern in To the Lighthouse, by David Daiches.
- Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay, by Josephine O’Brien Schaefer.

The great experience is the great inspiration moments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

The Green Planet | Photoshop Tutorial | Your Dentist | Proxy Server | Inspiration Moments